skip navigation

Recap: Storm drop overtime decision to Black Hawks 3-2

By Kendall Grayson, 03/05/21, 8:30PM PST


Conner Hutchison & Rhett Pitlick score in Storm's overtime loss

Kearney, NE. – The Tri-City Storm dropped an overtime decision to the Waterloo Black Hawks by a final score of 3-2 Friday night at the Viaero Center in Kearney. Conner Hutchison and Rhett Pitlick each netted goals in the Storm’s overtime loss. Tri-City returns to action again tomorrow night in another home game against Waterloo. Tomorrow night’s game is the Storm’s annual “Teddy Bear Toss” night. A limited amount of tickets are still available for tomorrow’s matchup and can be purchased in advance online at or by calling the Viaero Center Box Office during Box Office hours on Saturday. Puck drop for tomorrow’s game is scheduled for 7:05pm.


Waterloo’s Matthew Argentina scored his fourth goal of the season at 4:31 of the 1st period to give the Black Hawks a 1-0 road lead over the Storm. Argentina’s goal was assisted by Max Sasson and Charlie Glockner. Waterloo outshot Tri-City 9-8 in the 1st period and carried a one-goal lead into the 2nd period.


Conner Hutchison netted his second goal of the season at 3:02 of the 2nd period to tie the game at 1-1. Hutchison’s goal was assisted by Kyler Kovich and Mark Estapa. Kovich’s assist was his sixth of the season. Estapa recorded his thirteenth assist on the scoring play. Waterloo outshot Tri-City 11-6 in the 2nd period and the game entered the 3rd period in a 1-1 tie.


Rhett Pitlick gave Tri-City the lead just over one minute into the 3rd period. Pitlick’s goal was scored at 1:22 of the 3rd period and was his ninth of the season. Carter Mazur and Hunter Strand each recorded assists on the play. Mazur’s assist was his fourteenth of the season and Strand’s assist was his team-leading nineteenth of the year. With less than four minutes to play in the 3rd period, Waterloo’s Alex Gaffney scored his eleventh goal of the season to tie the game at 2-2. The goal was assisted by Ryan O’Hara and Michael LaStarza and was scored at the 16:36 mark of the 3rd period. Waterloo outshot Tri-City 13-10 in the 3rd period and the game entered overtime in a 2-2 tie.


With just over one minute left to play in overtime, Owen Ozar scored his tenth goal of the season to give Waterloo a 3-2 overtime win over the Storm. Tri-City dropped to 19-11-2-1 in the loss and 1-1-1-0 in head-to-head matchups against the Black Hawks this season. Todd Scott made thirty-one saves on thirty-four shots in goal for Tri-City. Charlie Glockner recorded the win in net for Waterloo after making twenty-two saves on twenty-four shots. Friday’s game at the Viaero Center was played in front of a sold-out crowd of 2,500 (capacity limited due to COVID-19).


Tri-City returns to action on Saturday, March 6th in a home game against the Waterloo Black Hawks. For the latest information regarding the Tri-City Storm, including tickets to the next home game, visit