#5 Nate Clurman
D | 6'2" | 200 lbs. | May 8, 1998 | Notre Dame | 2016, 6th rd., Colorado
Hometown: Boulder, Colorado
Commitment: Notre Dame
NHL Draft: 2016, Sixth Round, 161st overall by the Colorado Avalanche
USHL Draft: 2015, Phase II, 13th round, 209th overall by the Tri-City Storm.
FOLLOW Nate on Twitter
- Physical and skilled, this two-way defenseman is a Colorado Avalanche draft pick looking to impress in his final stop before Notre Dame.
With the Storm:
- 2016-17: Visited as an affiliate player and skated in two games. Debuted February 10 vs. Omaha.
Before the Storm:
- Played 2013-17 at Culver Military School, located in Indiana. From 2015-17, scored 17 goals, 75 points and a plus-75 rating.
- 2016-17: Recorded eight goals and 32 points in 36 games to go along with a plus-32 rating. Took six PIMs.
- Had a plus-43 rating and 43 points (nine goals) in 49 games during 2015-16. Was a corporal during his junior year.
- A product of the Rocky Mountain RoughRiders youth program, located in Colorado.
- While at Culver Military Academy, Clurman was required to wear a uniform, have his room inspected every morning, march to breakfast and maintain a clean wardrobe. “The goal at Culver is to make you into a man.”
- First person in immediate family to graduate from a military school.
- Didn’t go to 2016 NHL Draft and found out over the phone while eating breakfast with his family in Vail, Colorado. Grew up going to Avalanche games.
- Attended the 2016 Prospect Development Camp after being drafted and met a pair of famous former Avalanche players. “I remember the first time I met Joe Sakic. It’s pretty crazy you get to meet those guys. Adam Foote was working with us as well.”
- Started skating in Colorado at Beaver Creek in Vail when he was three years old. Family moved to California at age six and Clurman played mites hockey at the Los Angeles Kings Practice Facility for the Jr. Kings.
- Was the 24th Culver alum selected in the NHL Draft.