Storm News

Tri-City defeats Waterloo 6-3, sweeps season series

Posted 182 days ago ago by Kendall Grayson

Waterloo, IA – The Tri-City Storm completed a perfect three game road weekend Sunday afternoon in Waterloo, IA in a 6-3 win over the Black Hawks. Following two wins over Central Illinois on Friday and Saturday, Tri-City completed a four-game season sweep with a road win over Waterloo. In the game, Storm Captain Ronnie Attard set a new USHL record for most goals scored in a single season by a defenseman, scoring his 20th goal of the year in the 2nd period. The record setting goal by Attard was also the game winning goal in the Storm’s 15th road victory of the year. Tri-City’s Brendan Furry scored his first career hat trick in the win, netting goals in all three periods. The Storm now return home to host the Chicago Steel on Friday and Saturday at the Viaero Center in Kearney.


Tri-City jumped on the board early with a goal from Brendan Furry in the opening five minutes of the game. Furry’s goal was his 13th of the season and was assisted by Shane Pinto and Zac Jones. Minutes later Connor McMenamin scored his 20th goal of the year to give Tri-City a 2-0 lead. McMenamin’s goal was scored at 9:06 of the 1st period and was assisted by Brendan Budy and Ronnie Attard. Waterloo’s Connor Caponi scored the Black Hawks first goal of the game at 13:19 of the 1st period to cut the Storm lead in half. Tri-City entered the 2nd period with a one goal lead.


Waterloo tied the game with a goal less than three minutes into the 2nd period. Brehdan Engum’s goal was netted at 2:42 of the 2nd period and was assisted by James Marooney and Joey Cassetti. Just thirty-three seconds later, Brendan Furry scored his 2nd goal of the game, and 14th goal of the season to give the Storm another lead. Furry’s goal was scored at 3:15 of the 2nd period and was assisted by Ronnie Attard and Ian Murphy. Ronnie Attard scored a record-breaking goal minutes later to increase the Tri-City lead to 4-2. The historic goal scored by Attard set a new USHL record for most goals scored in a single season by a defenseman in the USHL Tier I era (2002-Present). Attard’s goal was the final goal of the 2nd, and Tri-City took a 4-2 lead into the 3rd period.


Patrick Guzzo started the 3rd period scoring with a goal at 4:10 to bring the Black Hawks back within one goal. In the final three minutes of the game, Tri-City’s Brendan Budy scored his 6th goal of the season on a goal assisted by Filip Forsmark. Budy’s goal was scored with 2:02 left in the 3rd period and gave Tri-City a 5-3 lead. The game’s final goal was scored on a penalty shot by Brendan Furry. Furry’s penalty shot goal was his 15th goal of the season and 3rd of the night. The goal was scored at 18:15 of the 3rd period. Furry was named the game’s 1st Star after scoring his first career hat trick in the game.


Tri-City returns to action Friday in a home game against the Chicago Steel. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05pm, with the broadcast beginning on Hockey TV and Storm Radio at 6:45pm. For home game tickets and more information on the Tri-City Storm, visit  


Groups Promotions Suites




    Follow Us  
    Stay connected with the latest updates