Storm News

Tri-City defeats Sioux City 3-2 in 16 Round Shootout Thriller

Posted 203 days ago ago by Kendall Grayson

Sioux City, IA – The Tri-City Storm erased a 2-0 deficit in the final seven minutes of the game and won a 16-round shootout against the Sioux City Musketeers by a final score of 3-2 Sunday at the Tyson Events Center in Sioux City, IA. After Ronnie Attard scored the Storm’s goal with less than seven minutes to play, Filip Forsmark tied the game on a goal with less than two minutes to go. Connor McMenamin and Asa Kinnear scored in a shootout that went 16 rounds, and Jake Barczewski recorded the win in net after making 23 saves in regulation time and overtime and stopping an additional 15 saves in the shootout. Tri-City returns to action Saturday in a road game against the Des Moines Buccaneers. Puck drop is schedule for 7:05pm.


For the second consecutive game, Tri-City ended the first period in a scoreless tie. The Storm outshot the Musketeers 14-7 in the opening twenty minutes but failed to find the game’s first goal. Less that five minutes into the 2nd period, Martin Pospisil opened the scoring with a power play goal for the Musketeers. The goal was scored at the 4:56 mark of the 2nd period and was assisted by Parker Ford. Tri-City outshot Sioux City 9-7 in the 2nd period but trailed 1-0 entering the 3rd period.


Aaron Grounds netted his 3rd goal of the season at 6:47 of the 3rd period to give the Musketeers a two-goal lead over the Storm. Tri-City got on the board a 13:12 of the period with Ronnie Attard’s 13th goal of the season. The goal was assisted by Filip Forsmark and cut the Sioux City lead in half. The Musketeers took a penalty for too many men on the ice at 17:27 of the 3rd period to give Tri-City the game’s final power play. Tri-City lifted goaltender Jake Barczewski for an extra attacker to give the Storm a 6 on 4 advantage with under two minutes to play. Filip Forsmark tied the game with 1:27 left to play on a goal assisted by Ronnie Attard and Zac Jones. After a three on three overtime yielded no goals, the game went into a shootout to decide the winner.


 Connor McMenamin gave Tri-City the lead in the shootout with a goal on the Storm’s first shot. Following misses form both teams, Sioux City’s Brady Smith scored a goal in the 3rd round to keep the game going. For the next 12 Rounds, a total of 24 shooters failed to score and the sudden death round of the shootout continued into a 16th round. Tri-City’s Asa Kinnear scored in the top half of the 16th round to give the Storm its second lead in the shootout. Jake Barczewski stopped the shootout attempt from Josh Bohlin and the Tri-City Storm won the longest shootout in team history, 3-2 in 16 rounds. The previous team record stood for nearly thirteen years before being bested tonight. Tri-City defeated Des Moines 6-5 in a 12-round shootout on February 6th, 2006.


Jake Barczewski made 23 saves through 65 minutes, and an additional 15 saves in the shootout to record the win in net for Tri-City.  Barczewski’s 15 shootout saves is a Tri-City Storm team record.


Tri-City returns to action Saturday in a road game against the Des Moines Buccaneers. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05pm, with the broadcast beginning on Hockey TV and Storm Radio at 6:45pm. For home game tickets and more information on the Tri-City Storm, visit  

Asa Kinnear Shootout Goal.jpg 

Groups Promotions Suites




    Follow Us  
    Stay connected with the latest updates